Convert kN to pounds

Don't know how to calculate the area of your garden or circumference of a pond? Ask your question here.
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

Convert kN to pounds

Postby Keith R » Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:55 am

I would like to know the conversion formula to convert kN to kips or pounds
Keith R

Postby shill » Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:31 am

Kilonewton (kN) is a measure of force. On Earth's surface, a force of 1 kN of gravity would be exerted on something that weighs approximately 224.8 pounds (lbs).
kN * 224.8 = lbs
lbs / 224.8 = kN
shill
Expert

Static weight?

Postby devman » Thu May 04, 2006 9:32 am

Is that to say that it means, that for every kn of pressure, it may hold 225 lbs of weight? So for instance, if I had a caribiner, that was rated at 25 kn. Could it hold an inatimate object that weighs roughly 5500 lbs?
devman

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:23 pm

yes
25KN carabiners are tested to roughly 5500lbs

Postby slacker » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:34 pm

F=ma

your force being in Newtons, mass in kg's, and acceleration in m/s/s

1KN = m (9.8 m/s/s)
m ~ 102 kg's
m ~ 225 lbs
m ~ 0.2 kips
slacker

Postby seb » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:13 am

another note: a caribiner for climbing will have a decent safety factor on it, shock loading (ie falling) will exert a much higher force on your gear. kinetic energy is related to velocity exponentially... translation: if you are falling a bit faster you will exert much more force on your gear. Also the caribiner can undergo case-hardening with extended usage, altering the internal structure enough to cause the material properties to change without changing the aesthetic properties. It is very hard to know the condition of your biner without v.expensive equipment. Once I feel I have used a biner for long-enough in climbing, I retire it to gear handling or other non-life-dependent purposes.
seb

Postby matt » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:14 pm

can anyone tell me what 50 tons represents in kN force?
matt

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:27 am

matt wrote:can anyone tell me what 50 tons represents in kN force?

50 x 2000 lbs/ton = 100,000 lbs

100,000 lbs / 224.8 lbs/kN = 444.84 kN

kN = short tons in breaking strenth.

Postby Martin Richard » Wed May 13, 2009 9:55 pm

Break Load ORQ: 6.932kN = how many Short Tons

VBreak Load Gade 4:9.001kN = How many Short tons
Martin Richard

Convert kN to pounds

Postby laSraliss » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:36 pm

How to can i convert umol/L to nmol/L?
Thanks.
laSraliss

Re: Convert kN /2 to pounds/M2

Postby roland » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:22 pm

CAN ANYONE DO THE SUM FOR ME PLEASE ASAP. THANKS ROLAND
roland

Re: Convert kN to pounds

Postby climber86 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:31 am

i build cell towers, i weigh 180 lbs my gear and tools are roughly another 85 to 100 lbs depending on what the job is. the Caribbeans i use an anywhere from 5 kn to 25 kn so if im fully loaded im around 280lbs so i shouldn't need anything more than 5 kn :?:
climber86

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:34 pm

Here is my service to society today.

DO NOT GET CONFUSED ON THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MASS AND FORCE UNITS!

In the metric system, a force is commonly measured in newtons, and a mass is in kilograms. With the imperial system, you need to not that the engineering world uses pounds for both force and mass. When talking about force it is sometimes denoted by lb_f and mass is often lb_m.

Postby Roseanna » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:58 am

Thanks for the info, very helpful!
Roseanna

Postby Climbercoons » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:35 am

On my climbing harness I have the gear loop in the back with a tag stating 5kN. giving 1 kN is roughly 224 I would be able to climb with a little over 1000 lbs of gear strapped to my belt. Correct? And if you know anything about fall factor to which point would that same loop snap
Climbercoons

Postby treepimkp » Tue May 01, 2012 6:39 am

when working with caribeners you should stay with in wll (work load limit ) whitch usualy is about 10 percent of the tensile or breaking point
treepimkp

Postby Surface » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:47 pm

In the US we typically size the pads for a steel platform based on the concrete strength,ie 2000 to 8000 psi. In Sigapore they are telling me that the concrete strength is 25KN/m2. How do I covert to PSI?
Surface

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:06 am

If you are climbing anything and the only thing saving you from gravity is your carabiner.... better safe than sorry. Use this easy math to be on the safe side. For every 100lbs weight you are placing on your carabiner use 5kn. For example: I am 220lbs, climbing gear is about 90lbs, for a total of 310lbs. A 15kn carabiner will hold 3372lbs 'dead weight'. More than enough for my 310lbs plus any force that would be exerted on it from a fall or stumble (knock on wood) for example. All this math is great.... But i still climb with a 25kn. You should too.

Postby sunchangping » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:07 pm

Also the caribiner can undergo case-hardening with extended usage, altering the internal structure enough to cause the material properties to change without changing the aesthetic properties. It is very hard to know the condition of your biner without v.expensive equipment. Once I feel I have used a biner for long-enough in climbing, I retire it to gear handling or other non-life-dependent purposes.
sunchangping

More info

• List of all units you can convert online
  • Metric conversion
  • Convert pounds to gallons
  • Convert grams to cups
  • Grams to milliliters
  • Imperial vs US Customary
  • History of measurement
  • Return to Calculating things

Our Privacy Policy       Cooking Measures Converter       Metric conversions