Disscussing old, rare, very specific or otherwise uncommon units and measurements
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,
Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.
All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on
convert-me.com FaceBook pageThank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.
Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:30 am
What would be the wood equivalent in metric to the following framing lumber components?
I have a design that uses the following and I need to convert it to be compatible with the metric system.
4 X 4
and 2 X4
I know with framing lumber 4 x 4 is not actually 4 inches by four inches (I believe it is 3.75 x 3.75)
Also, would you recoomend using online converters for simple conversions or are they inaccurate?
Thanks.
Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:28 am
Guest wrote:What would be the wood equivalent in metric to the following framing lumber components?
I have a design that uses the following and I need to convert it to be compatible with the metric system.
4 X 4
and 2 X4
I know with framing lumber 4 x 4 is not actually 4 inches by four inches (I believe it is 3.75 x 3.75)
Also, would you recoomend using online converters for simple conversions or are they inaccurate?
Thanks.
Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:06 pm
The wood equivelent? I don't have a clue! LOL
A 2 x 4 starts at 2" x 4" but it's rough lumber. Smooth 'em down 1/4" on each side and they're 1-1/2" x 3-1/2". Actually, I believe the lumber mills "fudge" a little (lot) as 1/4" on each side is a lot of saw dust.
A 4 x 4 is actually 3-1/2" x 3-1/2"
I'm guessing the metric equivelent of a 2 x 4 would be 5.08 cm x 10.16 cm? I'll ask for one of these next time I go into Lowe's and see what kind of look I get!
As far as online converters, I haven't used one that was inaccurate. However, some of the material calculators I've seen leave a lot to be desired as they're dependant on a specific type or density of material, which usually isn't noted.
More info
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.