Disscussing old, rare, very specific or otherwise uncommon units and measurements
Forum rules
Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,
Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.
All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on
convert-me.com FaceBook pageThank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.
Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:29 am
Wondering if anyone out there might be able to give me some insight of the markings/size of an old wrench I have.
One end is marked "27" & "5/8 " but measures 1 1/8" across.
the other end is marked " 22 " & " 1/2 " but measures 1" across.
At first I thought it was mm and inches but that doesnt work. The marked sizes: 1/2" = 12.7mm & 5/8" = 15.875mm. The actual sizes: 1"= 25.4mm & 1 1/8" = 28.575mm.
Old metric? whitworth? I dont know much about such things.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
ps.... a couple other clues maybe.... wrench is also marked "Ehlis" & "brevete". I am told that "brevete" may be french for "patented", and from what I saw online Ehlis may be a spanish (?) tool company.
Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:38 pm
Any clues or thought anyone?
Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:22 am
fliffy42 wrote:Any clues or thought anyone?
Sorry but no. I've run searches a number of times, with few results. Of those few results, you were asking about this wrench in other forums. I take it there are no other markings on this wrench?
This could have been a tool that was included with some sort of industrial type machinery, for a particular machine only, and not marketed otherwise. As the industrial machine/toolmaker may have gone out of business before the advent of the Internet, no information was ever posted about it . . . not yet anyway.
More info
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.