Disscussing old, rare, very specific or otherwise uncommon units and measurements

Forum rules

Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

Weight of currency

Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:56 pm

How much does one million dollars in $100 bills weigh?
In a book, I read that it was about 44 pounds, but I once held a box of 10,000 $100 bills and I seem to remember it was nearer to 20 lbs.

Re: Weight of currency

Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:37 am

jonmaine wrote:How much does one million dollars in $100 bills weigh?
In a book, I read that it was about 44 pounds, but I once held a box of 10,000 $100 bills and I seem to remember it was nearer to 20 lbs.

Going straight to the horses mouth, I visisted the U.S. treasury site, and found the following at http://www.moneyfactory.com/document.cfm/18/106:

Bureau of Engraving and Printing's web site wrote:The approximate weight of a currency note, regardless of denomination is (1) one gram. There are 454 grams in one (1) U.S. pound, therefore, there should be 454 notes in (1) one pound(Avoirdupois system).


One million dollars in one hundred dollar bills would be 10,000 bills. 10,000 bills divided by 454 bills/pound gives slightly more than 22 pounds. (22 pounds, 0.42 ounces)

Re: Weight of currency

Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:33 am

what the hell?

Re: Weight of currency

Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:57 am

Anonymous wrote:what the hell?

Do you ask yourself that question every morning when you look in the mirror?

More info

List of all units you can convert online
Metric conversion
Convert pounds to gallons
Convert grams to cups
Grams to milliliters
Imperial vs US Customary
History of measurement