Disscussing old, rare, very specific or otherwise uncommon units and measurements

Forum rules

Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

Milliamperes to Amperes ( Milliamps to Amps )

Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:44 pm

I did a Google search and found out that 1 milliamperes = 0.001 amperes.

OK I got that, but how does that relate to DC voltage and electricity.

Lets say a fan for a computer is rated at 12 volts, and I have a transformer that puts out about 19 volts and 500 mA ???

What do the mA convert to as far as volts.


Dan

Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:06 pm

Voltages and Amps are two separate things and cannot be converted.

Your voltages have to match - eg if you have a piece of equipment that is rated at 12V 250mA you need a power supply that gives 12V ie a direct match.
It (the equipment) needs 250mA so you need a power supply that can give at least 250mA, so a power supply rated at 12V 250mA would be find as would one rated at 12V 500mA but one rated at 12V 200mA would not.
A power supply rated at 19V 250mA or 19V 200mA or 19V 500mA or any other voltage other than 12V would not be ok as the equipment voltage and the power supply voltages don't match.

The above is for an example piece of equipment; your fan should have a rating plate on it that says something like 12V xxmA or xxW, for example if it says 12V 6W you can convert the 6W to Amps by using I(Amps)=P(Watts)/V(Volts) so in the example it would be I=6/12=0.5A=500mA, so you would need a power supply that gave 12V with at least 500mA (0.5A) output.

mA converted to Amps

Wed May 14, 2008 4:50 am

How Do You Convert mA To Amp's ? What's The Ratio For ?mA = 1.0 Amp's ?

Comparison of 2 chargers

Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:10 am

I have a blackbery charger which says output 5Vd.c. 0,7A
I have another unknown brand extra charger that says output 4.5 - 9.5 VDC, 800mA. Can the unknown charger be safely used to charge my blackberry charger? Can I assume 0,7A means 700mA which is close to the other one outputing 800mA. Is it ok that one is 5 Vdc and the other is a range from 4.5 to 9.5 vdc?

Re: Comparison of 2 chargers

Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:45 am

joem wrote:I have a blackbery charger which says output 5Vd.c. 0,7A
I have another unknown brand extra charger that says output 4.5 - 9.5 VDC, 800mA. Can the unknown charger be safely used to charge my blackberry charger? Can I assume 0,7A means 700mA which is close to the other one outputing 800mA. Is it ok that one is 5 Vdc and the other is a range from 4.5 to 9.5 vdc?


I don't know the answer to your question but I do suggest you create a new post with your question.

Adding a question to old posts doesn't usually get viable responses as those that answer questions check the new posts. Old posts usually have redundant posts and get filled with ridiculous clutter, not what someone who is willing to help wants to look at.

conversion

Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:43 pm

1000 milliamperes = 1 amperes

Re: mA converted to Amps

Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:10 am

lucas26 wrote:How Do You Convert mA To Amp's ? What's The Ratio For ?mA = 1.0 Amp's ?

*1000

Re: Milliamperes to Amperes ( Milliamps to Amps )

Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:31 am

why do they call it milliamps if its 1000. of a amp

Re: Milliamperes to Amperes ( Milliamps to Amps )

Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:35 am

I have always wondered about this when I look at my devices. I see the voltage (recommended) on the device, but have little idea what it means. This is helpful. Maybe I will at least get a a sense of what sort of electricity I am using. Thanks.

More info

List of all units you can convert online
Metric conversion
Convert pounds to gallons
Convert grams to cups
Grams to milliliters
Imperial vs US Customary
History of measurement