Try to post your problem here, there is a chance, someone clever will help you.

Forum rules

Dear convert-me.com forum visitors,

Our forum has been available for many years. In September 2014 we decided to switch it to read-only mode. Month after month we saw less posts with questions and answers from real people and more spam posts. We were spending more and more resources cleaning the spam until there were less them 1 legitimate message per 100 spam posts. Then we decided it's time to stop.

All the posts in the forum will be available and searchable. We understand there are a lot of useful information and we aren't going to remove anything. As for the new questions, you can always ask them on convert-me.com FaceBook page

Thank you for being with us and sorry for any inconveniences this could caused.

BTU's to KW and tons (hvac)

Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:24 am

All,
I am in need of converting my known BTU's to KW for power consumption and tons (hvac) for a/c useage and cooling needs.
I have a known btu factor of 264,430 btu/h.
I have used the conversion site, thanks by the way, and came up with the 77.5 KW in power consumption but cannot find a way to convert this to tons for cooling needs.
Anyone?

Conversion factors

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:09 pm

1 KW of electrical power = .2846 Tons of cooling. Therefore, 1 ton of cooling = 3.51 KW of electrical power

Re: tonage of cooling per square foot (hvac)

Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:10 pm

:)

I understand 1 ton of a/c equals 12,000 btu's, is there a conversion for a ton of a/c to sq foot? Brian

Re: BTU's to KW and tons (hvac)

Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:24 am

Exlr8r wrote:All,
I am in need of converting my known BTU's to KW for power consumption and tons (hvac) for a/c useage and cooling needs.
I have a known btu factor of 264,430 btu/h.
I have used the conversion site, thanks by the way, and came up with the 77.5 KW in power consumption but cannot find a way to convert this to tons for cooling needs.
Anyone?


22 Tons of Cooling (12,000 BTU per ton of cooling)

Re: BTU's to KW and tons (hvac)

Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:45 pm

TO CONVERT BTU TO TONS

1 TON = 12,000 BTU/hr

in your case you BTU/hr is

264,430/12,000 = 22.035 TONS

More info

List of all units you can convert online
Metric conversion
Convert pounds to gallons
Convert grams to cups
Grams to milliliters
Imperial vs US Customary
History of measurement